Matthew Stafford has bested Dan Marino as the quarterback who was the fastest (in number of games) to passing 20,000 yards. He’s already the Lions career leader in passing yards.
Dan Marino had previously reached the mark in 74 games, then Kurt Warner in 76 games and Peyton Manning in 78 games.
The 26-year-old Stafford reached his 20,000 yard mark in 71 games – faster than any quarterback in the history of the NFL. The mark was accomplished with a 30-yard pass to Golden Tate in the second quarter.
The Lions quarterback has a host of other (mostly good for trivia) National Football League records. Here is a sampling:
- Most passing touchdowns in a single game by a rookie quarterback (5)
- Youngest quarterback to throw 5 or more touchdowns in a single game (21 years, 288 days)
- First player in NFL history to throw for 1,500 yards and 14 TDs over a 4 game span: (2011)
- Most games with at least one touchdown pass in a season: 16 (2011, tied)
- Most consecutive 350+ yards passing games: 4 (tied with Drew Brees)
- Most yards thrown in a single game without a touchdown pass: (443)
- Most passing attempts in a season: 727
- Most games with 40+ pass attempts in a season: 13
To boot, the Detroit Lions season looks a little better this year. Despite their 14-6 loss to the Cardinals, they’re leading their division.