Detroit love goes with people, no matter if they stay in the city or move far, far away. It’s always close to their hearts. The other day, driving around Belle Isle sipping a Faygo, we were thinking of the question – How exactly can you tell if someone is from Detroit?
Here are 10 ways to tell if you, or someone you love, might be from Detroit.
1. You might be from Detroit if … NBD meant a bank (National Bank of Detroit) before it was texting abbreviation (No Big Deal). Did you know NBD Bank (now part of Chase) was started with money from General Motors at the request of the Federal Government during the depression in 1933?
2. You might be from Detroit if … you think that that OABI (pronounced Oh-wah-bee) means Once Around Belle Isle.
3. You might be from Detroit if … you lose your mind over a Faygo Slurpee. Of any kind. Because Faygo. And Slurpee. Did you know Michiganders drink the most Slurpees in the nation?
4. You might be from Detroit if … going to Canada doesn’t count as going to another country among your friends.
5. You might be from Detroit if … you have an Old English D on anything (and everything).
6. You might be from Detroit if … you wish you could still shop at Hudson’s.
7. You might be from Detroit if … you’ve bought an octopus before the hockey game.
8. You might be from Detroit if … your first favorite song was a Motown hit. Did you know the song above had instrumentation help from not only the Funk Brothers, but also the Detroit Symphony Orchestra?
9. You might be from Detroit if … you know right away what “$29 or two for $50” means. If you dont know, watch the video above. By the way, we still think shoes are too expensive if we can’t find them two for $50.
10. You might be from Detroit if … you have had or dreamed of having a family reunion at either Lafayette or American Coney Island.
Did we miss anything? Leave’em in the comments!