It seems as if there’s always another article about a possible development downtown. One week it’s an Apple Store rumor. The next week, Nike.
Me and colleague Mehul Tolia hit the streets surrounding Campus Martius and asked a diverse group of people what kind of business they wanted to see open in Detroit. The group included security guards, cooks on their cigarette break, corporate employees, Detroiters who live downtown, and visitors from the suburbs. Each interview was as unique as the individual, but all the people we asked spoke with sincere conviction.
Something For The Kids:
- “Some type of youth program for kids to play and learn, like a YMCA.” (By the way, we know there’s one already The Boll YMCA in the core of downtown).
- “More places for the kids, like arcades. Why do I have to drive out to Livonia to go to Dave and Busters? The games and fun they have going at Punch Bowl Social is a great start.”
- “Bring a mall here. We have to go outside the city to go to a mall. We need a place like 7 Days West or Partridge Creek.”
- “An outdoor mall like what they have in Ann Arbor if you go on State Street.”
- “Why are they closing all the Walgreens? What’s up with that? We have to almost go to the suburbs for some type of medicine. That’s crazy.”
- “I live downtown and one thing that bothers me on a daily basis is the grocery store situation. I have to leave the city completely to get groceries. You can’t just run out at 9 or 10 at night to grab something.”
- “More grocery stores. I work in nutrition and a lot around here is what you find in liquor stores. We need a small grocery store that has cheap and healthier food options.”
- “An Apple Store. I’m not a huge Apple fan, but those always bring tons of people.”
- “After 7 p.m. the financial/business district is super quiet. Why is everybody going towards Greektown? We need more Happy Hours around here.”
- “The Detroit Pistons need to get out of Auburn hills. It would bring hype and jobs to the city. Get the Pistons in the entertainment district, especially since they are building the new Hockeytown. Build a new Detroit stadium for the Pistons.”
- “I want to see big companies like Google based in Detroit. More tech firms.”
- “More start ups come to downtown, because then it will attract the bigger companies to open businesses here.”
- “We need to convert vacant houses. Have the homeless put them together. It gives them a place to stay.”
- “We need free parking. At least come up with a monthly plan, like $35 a month.”
- “An indoor community garden to enjoy during the winter.”