On Wednesday, the Ralph C. Wilson Jr. Foundation announced that 18 local nonprofits will receive a total of $13.4 million in legacy grants, ranging from $25,000 to $2 million.
The foundation is the legacy of the late Ralph C. Wilson Jr, who passed last year. Wilson is best known as the founder and owner of the Buffalo Bills NFL team, as well as for creating Ralph Wilson Equity Fund LLC, an investment firm based in Grosse Pointe Park.
Among the recipients are Walsh College, Forgotten Harvest, The Children’s Center of Detroit. Each organization receiving funds were supported by Wilson in the years prior to his death.
The organizations will use funds to expand and improve their impact in their respective areas of work. Here is the complete list:
- Angela Hospice, Livonia
- Ann Arbor Area Community Foundation, Ann Arbor
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Southeastern Michigan, Farmington Hills
- Chandler Park Conservancy, Detroit
- The Children’s Center, Detroit
- Community Foundation of Monroe County, Monroe
- Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan, Detroit
- Community Foundation of St. Clair County, Port Huron
- Forgotten Harvest, Oak Park
- Grosse Pointe Historical Society, Grosse Pointe
- Grosse Pointe War Memorial, Grosse Pointe Farms
- Historic Elmwood Cemetery & Foundation, Detroit
- Jefferson Avenue Presbyterian Church, Detroit
- Save Our Children Inc., Detroit
- Services for Older Citizens, Grosse Pointe Farms
- United Way for Southeastern Michigan, Detroit
- University Liggett School, Grosse Pointe Woods
- Walsh College, Troy
The announcement brings the total contributions to Southeast Michigan causes to an astonishing $17.4 million in 2015 alone.