With winter closing in, it’s hard to imagine that anyone would consider Detroit a top travel destination.
However, Travel and Leisure Magazine recently released a list of 51 must visit locations around the world in 2016, and Detroit landed the 27th spot – right between Galle in Sri Lanka and the Galapagos Islands in Ecuador.
The author attributes the recent surge of development to the river front, downtown, midtown, and corktown neighborhoods as a few of the reasons to visit the D.
Here are a few more of the notable reasons to visit according to the author:
- The first Aloft hotel in Michigan at the David Whitney Building
- Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Centernew $30 million renovation
- The soon to be boutique 100-room Foundation Hotel in the newly renovated historic fire department headquarters across from the Cobo Center
- The West Riverfront Park
- DNR Outdoor Adventure Center
- The nearly 100 new restaurants, breweries, and distilleries opened in the past two years
What do you think? Is Detroit a great travel destination?