New Market In Detroit Focused On Local Food, Michigan Products And Living Wages (With Video)

Play episode

In this fast paced world it is easy to forget where our food comes from. However, two women are trying to change that in Detroit.

The Farmer’s Hand is a new artisan market and café at the corner of Trumbull and Bagley in Corktown.

Kiki Louya and Rohani Foulkes are co-owners of the Farmer’s Hand. Louya and Foulkes goal is to bring local products to to the surrounding community.

The Farmer’s Hand features products that have been grown or produced within 100 miles of Detroit.

What makes the Farmer’s Hand is their partnership with the farmers and artisans that sell products in the store.

So far they have over 100 confirmed market partners for their store front.

When you shop at The Farmer’s Hand you will find items from numerous farmers that sell at Eastern Market. While walking through the market I saw the same fingerling potatoes I buy from Holtz Farms at Eastern Market.

Prices for the products will have numerous price points to insure that everyone in the community can buy items from the store.

The market partners set the prices for their own products.

Louya and Foulkes strive to make sure the farmers and small businesses are making a living wage. The market partners make 70% of the proceeds of the items sold and The Farmer’s Hand receives the remainder (30%).

The café will have brunch and lunch options, made with products that you can find in the store.

The Farmer’s Hand is located at 1701 Trumbull in Detroit. Hours: Monday through Friday 7:00 AM-7:00 PM, Saturday and Sunday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM.

More from this show

Subscribe