Since 1930, the tunnel between Detroit and Windsor has been serving drivers. This fall the final phaseof $21.9 million in renovations are underway, including replacing the concrete ceiling and other infrastructure improvements.
The tunnel goes as far as a mile below the surface of the Detroit River and serves 12,000 people a day.
Here’s the closure schedule through June of 2018:
- Oct. 20-30 – The tunnel will be closed from 8 p.m. Oct 20 through 5:30 a.m. Oct 30.
- Oct. 30-Nov. 22: The tunnel will be closed 8 p.m.-5:30 a.m. Sunday-Thursday.
- Nov. 23-26: The tunnel will be open to traffic.
- Nov. 27-Dec. 23: The tunnel will be closed 8 p.m.- 5:30 a.m. Sunday-Thursday.
- Dec. 23- Jan. 1, 2018: The tunnel will be open to traffic.
- Jan 2- mid-June: The tunnel will be closed from 8 p.m.- 5:30 a.m. Sunday-Thursday.
The renovations are scheduled for completion in June 2018. Real-time updates and traffic information will be available online at www.dwtunnel.com, Facebook (www.facebook.com/DWTunnel) and on Twitter (@DetWinTunnel).
Detroit-based American Roads operates the tunnel under a lease with the City of Detroit.