Welcome to Tuesday, March 19 — and the final day of winter, YAY!
On the show today, we run down the news that not only does Detroit have a homegrown winery, but Detroit Vineyards aims to open a tasting room in the Stroh’s Ice Cream building on Gratiot near Eastern Market this spring. Will wonders never cease?
Elsewhere, Beaumont Health is proposing to open a $140 million, 117-bed hospital in Oxford, filing a certificate of need application with the state. That makes Beaumont the latest in a list of big health systems that have tried to win approval for a new hospital in the growth exurbs of northern Oakland County.
What else, you ask?
- Freshman U.S. Rep. Rashida Tlaib, D-Detroit, wants to prohibit auto insurers from using a person’s credit history to set insurance rates
- Tigers pitching ace Michael Fulmer may undergo season-ending Tommy John surgery to reconstruct ligaments in his right elbow
- Three nonprofits are getting funds to help Detroiters get better jobs
- A new Mexican bar and restaurant called Peso is set to open in the space formerly occupied by Fist of Curry (and before that, the beloved Huron Room, may it rest in peace)
- There could be a Lego kit of Mackinac Island’s famed Grand Hotel, if enough of you vote to make it happen
- Detroit neighborhoods could get residential parking permits under a proposed city ordinance
- And the city of Detroit has finally begun posting restaurant health inspection results online
Thanks for listening to Daily Detroit!