There are few things better than flying a kite on a weekend afternoon. What’s turned into an annual event — the Detroit Kite Festival — allows you to do just that with a bunch of new friends in one of Detroit’s more magical settings.
The free event will be held this year on Belle Isle on Sunday, July 14 at the Cricket Fields. That’s near the historic Belle Isle Casino.
It’ll run from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. that Sunday.
Previous years have brought out more than 5,000 people, according to organizers.
Another important part about this event is that it’s very inclusive.
Thanks to a partnership with the Detroit Institute of Arts, not having a kite isn’t a problem.
More than 1,000 kites have been given away, and their kite cart is stocked on the day of the festival so people can try out different ones.
Here’s where you come in. To make year three be the best it could be, the organization (a non-profit) is looking to raise a total of $3,000 to do the following, according to their Patronicity crowdfunding page.
- Support event logistics: This includes, tents, chairs, insurance, signs, volunteers, etc.
- Workshop series and day-of kite making materials: This includes kite making kits and decoration supplies.
- Artist Stipends: This includes modest stipends for great local acts that will grace the grounds of the festival throughout the day.
- Merchandise and Kites: This includes the purchasing of official DKF kites to give away and DKF merchandise.
- Marketing and Outreach: This includes all promotion material, flyers, postcards, and design services.
- Miscellaneous Expenses/Cushion: This includes things we forgot we needed, and a little just in case something goes wrong!
The organization says that any additional funding would be used to buy more kites for youth and funding future kite workshops and festivals.
They’ve raised more than $1,800 of their $3,000 goal of this writing. If you’d like to chip in, go here.
So mark your calendars for that Sunday in July!